An Historic Moment in the Life of Union Chapel!
Last Sunday (November 1, 2020) in worship, our congregation remembered eleven members and constituents of Union Chapel who have passed on since 2018 in a meaningful candle lighting ceremony. Candles were also lit in memory of friends and family who have recently passed from us. Following the worship service, we adjourned to the new western portico for a short ceremony to bless the cornerstone that will be put in place in the coming weeks.
Then, we adjourned to the new gathering where each attendee was invited to inscribe his or her favorite prayers, hopes, and scriptures on the floors to bless the space -- while enjoying refreshments and fellowship. Finally, a group gathered outside once again, this time in the north lot, to plant an American Plum tree in Union Chapel's "food forest" to celebrate the memory of Collin Herod.
Dozens of wonderful photos of the weekend's events are available on the Union Chapel Indy Facebook page... but we thought you might like to take a closer look at the things that have been selected, to date, to go into the cornerstone's time capsule:
- A pew Bible
- A note to a future church staff, from the current church staff.
- A rock from the SHINE Youth Group's "Love Rocks" ministry.
- A book, "The Haversticks," detailing local history.
- "Faith of Our Fathers," a pamphlet detailing Union Chapel's history.
- A current newspaper
- A COVID mask
- A mini-blanket, representing the work and ministry of Union Chapel's Hearts and Hands group.
- Seeds collected from our Creation Care Ministry gardens.
- Milkweed seeds -- a favor given out at the groundbreaking ceremony in May of 2019.
- And finally, a scrapbook -- snapshots of our congregation's recent history, ministries, ministry partners, and construction phases. The scrapbook was compiled by Sharon Moore. Photos of the pages are available for viewing by clicking here.